SandyBlue awarded Green Tourism certificate
As the SandyBlue team looks toward a greener future, we have some exciting news to share! After making some changes to the way we operate in terms of sustainability, we are delighted to say we have been awarded a silver Green Tourism certificate.
We really care about the Algarve, and the planet, so we believe as a business that small changes make a lasting impact. In 2021, we are fully committed to going green! We were also featured in the Portugal News to share this great news!
SandyBlue goes green
Led by co-owners Joe Mountain and Anastasia Takield, SandyBlue’s mission is to lessen our environmental footprint without compromising the quality of our guests’ experience by increasing the use of more eco-friendly, sustainable methods of operation. Today, a green footprint is important to so many people, even the most seasoned of travellers.
We don't want to do this just for ourselves either. We want to encourage fellow businesses and property owners to join our mission so that the Algarve continues to be the beautiful and safe region we've come to adore.
SandyBlue's green initiatives
The backbone of this whole initiative is that it serves the whole community of the Algarve, and of course those who we welcome to the region throughout the year. Here are some of the ways we have been working towards our new goal and the reasons we have been awarded the Green Tourism certificate.
- Community is key. We have established a great partnership with Casa Brava, a fantastic company in Loule. Producing soaps with local ingredients in a sustainable way, we will be providing their products to our guests.
- We have switched to locally sourced, eco-friendly amenities from the Algarve. That way, we can lessen our environmental impact while supporting local businesses. We just have to show off the amazing produce the Algarve offer.
- Waste reduction is a big goal for us. Eliminating single use plastic, a move to paperless operations and a new recycling initiative is something we have already implemented.
- We are also working on minimising water usage. We have introduced a new window cleaning service in the Golden Triangle that uses the Pure Water Filtration System, which means there is no need to squeegee the water from the window. It delivers outstanding results with no chemicals used. There is also signage in all properties, reminding guests to be mindful of water and towel usage.
- We have installed highly efficient appliances (A+) and LED lighting has been installed at our office and exclusive properties.
- The wildlife is important to us. The team are sponsoring a Chameleon egg hatching initiative and are currently awaiting the hatching of eggs! We are also promoting more nature related activities to guests. This is to support a local charity Rias (Ria Formosa wild animals research & recovery centre.) SandyBlue guests will also be offered an opt-out charge of 1€ that will be donated to this charity.
With all of these initiatives, we are making sure to encourage these in everything we do. From encouraging guests to use eco-friendly methods of transport to signs promoting our message, we are excited to continue on a greener path.
Looking for an eco-friendly Algarve villa rental specialist?
As a leading villa rental specialist in the Algarve, we can help you find your dream holiday or list your property. Get in touch on the links below to arrange a chat!