Algarve Golf Holidays: The Ultimate Guide
Why is the Algarve considered one of the top destinations for golf holidays? Aside from the world-famous golf courses to choose from, the great climate and vibrant coast puts the Algarve right at the top of golfer's lists of places to visit.
Don't take our word for it. The Algarve has also been voted the best golfing destination in Europe and the whole world for several years in a row at the World Golf Awards. This is unsurprising, as golfers love the hospitality, amazing accommodation, and affordability.
Golfing in the Algarve
Before we tell you the best courses to visit during your golf holiday here in the Algarve, we wanted to share some interesting history and facts about this incredible golfing destination.
Some of the scenery you will experience as you play is unmatched! To the south, you have the Atlantic ocean and long stretches of golden sand. To the north, you have the remote mountains of the Algarve. Along the 100 miles of sand, you will find over 40 golf courses. How will you ever choose?
Due to its prestige among golfers, the Algarve has actually hosted the Portuguese Open Championship eight times. Furthermore, hundreds of national and international prestigious tournaments have been held here. It is no wonder the region is held in such high regard among golfers!
Did you know? The Algarve's first course was built between Portimão and the beach of Praia da Rocha. Although the natural landscape was beautiful, the area proved a tricky host at first. A lack of freshwater meant that the greens had to be constructed from sand and oil.
The best golf courses in the Algarve
Now that we've spoken about the rich history and fame surrounding the Algarve's golf courses, it's time we share some of the top courses you can play on. No matter where you stay, one of these golf courses will be within a comfortable distance in the Algarve's Golden Triangle.
Golfing in Quinta do Lago
If you choose your golf holiday villa in Quinta do Lago, you won't be disappointed. The area is considered the premier golf destination in the Algarve. The courses in Quinta do Lago are often rated within the top 25 across Europe, which is an incredible recognition.
- Quinta do Lago North Course: Remodeled in 2014, it has become one of the most innovative courses in the Algarve. Redesigned by renowned American architect Beau Welling in close collaboration with European Ryder Cup captain Paul McGinley, the course emphasizes precision and strategy.
- Quinta do Lago South Course: The South Course is internationally revered, with varying challenges for golfers of all levels and abilities. It has a huge reputation, becoming one of the flagship European Tour Courses.
- Quinta do Lago Laranjal Course: A former orange grove that is now a par 72 championship course that offers beautiful views as you play. With beautiful lakes and 6,480 meters in length, high levels of accuracy and concentration are needed!
- San Lorenzo Golf Course: Considered not only one of the best courses in the Algarve, but the whole of Europe! With a beautiful and pristine presentation, matched with a challenging and demanding game, this should be at the top of your list.
Golfing in Vale do Lobo
Vale do Lobo is another great choice for golfing holidays in the Algarve. The courses here offer sensational views and challenging games! Here are some of the courses you can visit during your stay.
- Royal Golf Course: This course is recognised as one of Portugal’s most prestigious golf courses. Features include the almost island green of the 9th and the famous 16th, with cliff-top carryover. Due to the clifftop views and challenging holes, it has become a symbol of golf in the Algarve, being one of the most photographed golf holes in Europe.
- Ocean Golf Course: This course features unmatched fairways which lead down to the Atlantic shore. Because of this, golfers will be treated to stunning views of the sea. Challenges such as the sea breeze make this an exhilarating course, even for the most skilled players.
Golfing in Pinheiros Altos
Pinheiros Altos is one of the most prestigious and successful golfing centres in Europe. Featuring a 27-hole championship course that offers exciting challenges and varying degrees of difficulty, the resort is a must-see for keen golfers.
There are three independent circuits of nine holes and they are named the Pinheiros (Pines), Sobreiros (Corks), and the Oliveiras (Olives) respectively. With lovely green scenery and challenging hazards, it provides a great golfing experience.
Time for a break?
After a long day of golfing, there is nothing better than a delicious meal to celebrate. Check out some local recommendations...
Another treat is a glorious spa to unwind for a day off the course. The many spas in the Algarve offer glorious treatments, including a well-earned massage to de-stress. Vale do Lobo Royal Spa is an ultra-modern health and wellness facility, offering a wide range of treatments including herbal therapies, reflexology, shiatsu and the latest vitamin-enriched treatments and cosmetic medicine. The Campus offers an array of spa treatments including sports massages and deep tissue massages.
Visiting the Algarve for a golf holiday?
With stunning villas and apartments that are perfect for your golfing trip, SandyBlue can help you make it one to remember. Explore all golf villas and apartments today!