We all know that we are going to relax and enjoy ourselves on holiday and for a lot of us that means indulging on long, leisurely beach front lunches and evenings spent under twinkly, starry skies in stunning restaurants.
We are very, very spoilt here in the Golden Triangle with fabulous food. In a small geographic area, we have more than 100 amazing restaurants from basic Portuguese sardines and bread to Michelin starred food fayre...whatever your wallet can stretch to!
We could literally give you an endless list of restaurants but we think it is better to let you in on the best of the best to make sure that when your belt buckle is straining you know the reason why.
Our favourites from flip flops wearing beachside glamour to fine dining in style:
1. BJ’s Oceanside: Black Horse/Carvelo Preto Praia Almargem (note cash only for payment)
2. Temperus: Trafal beach, just a walk down the beach from Vale do Lobo
3. The Praça, Vale do Lobo: amazing destination for all the family May to September with free LIVE nightly entertainment so bring your dancing shoes. Numerous restaurants and bars including: Monty’s, Sandbanks, Breeze, La Terrazza, Amore, The Creperie, Bugatti Bar and Oriental Teahouse. The Praça is an easy family and friend’s night out with parking available as well. Night owls can enjoy entertainment in Monty’s after hours bar with regular live entertainment and in summer the young ones can enjoy the favourite and infamous Geckos nightclub.
4. Maria’s Beach: in front of the Dunas Douradas Beach Club. Pricey but a definite ‘place to be seen’ scene!
5. Garrao Beach: very famous beach area of restaurants including the landmark Julias Restaurant, one of the very original restaurants in the Golden Triangle. Dine and become part of history! At Izzy’s, keep an eye out for the Sunday Sessions with live DJ and dancing on the beach. Other restaurants at Garrao Beach are Antonio Ta Certo, Eduardos and Fins restaurants, all along the same stretch.
6. Ria Formosa Nature Trail on Ancao Beach: enjoy a wander across the wooden pathway to the hidden gems in the Ria Formosa. A bit off the beaten track but well worth the effort! Enjoy a beach front meal at Dois Passos (2 Passos), Waves by Paixa and Praya by Chakall.
There has never been a better reason to head to the beach!
Must not miss restaurants:
1. Casa Do Lago: enjoy fine dining on the lake in Quinta do Lago.
2. Paixa: Jardins Do Golfe Vale do Lobo dine beside the glitterati.
3. Parilla Natural: dine under the stars in a very glam setting.
4. Gourmet Natural: without doubt the place to be seen enjoy sipping fab cocktails too.
5. Henrique Leis: insider tip, go at lunch for the most amazing lunch (set cost / not available in summer).
6. A Quinta: a firm favourite with the Golden triangle regulars, excellent value and delish food.
7. Penqueno Mundo: for the romantics!
8. Restaurante Malveiro: For the adventurous, with its cuisine from Mozambique
9. Casa Da Quinta: Excellent restaurant, just outside of Quinta do Lago and Vale Do Lobo.
10. Mem: just outside Loulé with the most amazing scenic views along the Algarve coastline.
11. Marufu 1 & 2: As Portuguese as it gets! Expect a queue in summer and for good reason the whole family can eat for just small change (towards Quarteria)
12. Alambique: Traditional favourite with long time regular visitors to the Golden Triangle, a landmark restaurant.
13. Bovino: Quinta do Lago's signature steak house. Fabulous decor, a large outdoor patio area and totally delicious steak.
14. Tapas and Vinho and its sister restaurant Simply Frango: For great value tapas or chicken! In the same area indulge yourself at: Parilla Natural or its sister restaurant Gourmet Natural, Casa Dos Pinheiros or indeed A Floresta. The same small stretch of road has a great selection of restaurants!
15. Sushi Ya: in Almancil centre and serving fabulous sushi in a beautiful setting, Sushi Ya is definitely one to visit.